Cylinder head cover
• Thoroughly wipe off oil from the fitting surfaces of the cylinder head and cover.
• Apply bond to the end caps of the cylinder head cover gasket as shown in the figure. : Sealant 99000–31140
! CAUTION Use a new gasket to prevent oil leakage.
• Apply engine oil to both sides of the washer and cushion.
! CAUTION Use new washers and cushion to prevent oil leakage.
• Tighten the cylinder head cover bolts in diagonal stages to the specified torque.
Cylinder head cover bolt: 14 N·m (1.4 kgf-m, 10.0 lb-ft)
Valve Clearance Inspection and Adjustment
Refer to “Valve Clearance Inspection and Adjustment in Section 0B (Page 0B-5)”.
Refer to “Engine Top Side Disassembly (Page 1D-17)” and “Engine Top Side Assembly (Page 1D-20)”.
! CAUTION Do not attempt to disassemble the camshaft/ automatic decompression assembly. It is not serviceable.
Inspect the teeth of each camshaft sprocket for wear or damage. If they are worn or damaged, replace the camshaft and cam chain as a set.
Move the automatic decompression weight by hand to inspect if it is operating smoothly. If the automatic decompression weight does not operate smoothly, replace it with a new one. Cam wear Check the camshaft for wear or damage. Measure the cam height “a” with a micrometer. Replace a camshaft if the cams are worn to the service limit.
: 09900–20202 (Micrometer (1/100 mm, 25 – 50 mm))
Cam height “a”
Service limit (IN.): 35.890 mm (1.4130 in)
Service limit (EX.): 34.620 mm (1.3630 in)
Camshaft journal wear
Inspect the camshaft journal wear in the following procedures:
1) Determine whether or not each journal is worn down to the limit by measuring the oil clearance with the camshaft installed in place.
2) Use the plastigauge to read the clearance at the widest portion, which is specified as follows.
(A): 09900–22301 (Plastigauge (0.025 – 0.076 mm))
(B): 09900–22302 (Plastigauge (0.051 – 0.152 mm))
3) Install each camshaft journal holder to its original position. Refer to “Engine Top Side Assembly (Page 1D-20)”.
4) Tighten the camshaft journal holder bolts evenly and in diagonally to the specified torque. Refer to “Engine Top Side Assembly (Page 1D-20)”.
NOTE Do not rotate the camshafts with the plastigauge in place.
Camshaft journal holder bolt (a): 10 N·m (1.0 kgf-m, 7.0 lb-ft)
5) Remove the camshaft journal holders and measure the width of the compressed plastigauge using the envelope scale.
6) This measurement should be taken at the widest part of the compressed plastic gauge.